Did you wake up with a creative idea for the perfect mobile app? One that nobody else has thought of, and that you are certain will be the next Uber or Airbnb?
The only problem is, you are unsure on how to even begin designing and building an app! Never fear! We at Launchpad App Development have developed a brief guide on the 6 key steps that will bring your mobile app from idea to smartphone screens everywhere.
1. Define your goal.
It all starts with an idea. Having a “Great Idea” is the starting point to every successful project. Having a vision of what you want to accomplish at the start is an important benchmark that will confirm whether the development process is heading in the right direction.
Before you go straight into it, you must clearly define your app concept. This includes outlining:
- Your app’s mission and purpose: what is the app going to do
- Its core appeal
- The problem is it going to solve, or what part of life is it going to improve
Defining a clear goal for the app is also going to help explain your idea to a developer and help move the development process along a lot faster.
2. Research your idea.
While you may believe you have a revolutionary idea, you may get your hopes up a little too quickly.
The main purpose of research:
- Find out if there are other apps that do the same thing on the app stores.
- Look for design inspiration for your app.
- Determine the technical requirements for your app.
- How you can market and monetise your app?
- Decide whether you want to develop your app on iOS, Android or both.
Nonetheless you should not get discouraged by those who play in the same arena. It is essential that you focus on your own app project and your user acquisition. Learn from the core features and mistakes of competing apps, and drop all other assumptions about them.
3. Getting your app out there.
Think about developing a strategy on how you will get your app out onto the market. This shouldn’t be an exact map to take, but you should consider your possible pathways when getting your app noticed by your target market.
To do this, you must determine your niche. Research into how you can reach out to your target user and how you should reach them to make them see the value and use of the app.
Another important consideration is figuring out how your app is going to generate revenue. Will you charge your users to download it? Or will you offer the app for free but with ads? This monetisation model requires a large user base, so consider that as well.
There are various ways to monetise an app and it is up to you to decide on the channel you want to use.
4. Sketching your app idea onto paper.
By developing sketches you are laying the foundation for your future user interface. In this step you visually conceptualise the main features and the approximate layout of your app.
Having the first rough sketch of your app helps everyone on your team understand the mission. Use these sketches as a point of reference for the next phase of the project.
When sketching your app, keep in mind these 4 questions:
- What will my Visual Brand Name and Design look like?
- How will each screen look?
- What are the size and shapes of various elements?
- What are the actions users can take from each screen?
5. Creating a basic Wireframe and Storyboard for your App.
These programs allow you to not only drag and drop all your representative graphics and placeholders into place, but also add button functionality so that you can click through your app in review mode. However, if you don’t want to pay for a subscription to these programs, you can always hand sketch your wireframes onto paper.
While you are working on your wireframes you should also build a storyboard for your app. The idea is to build a roadmap that will help you understand the flow between each screen and how the user can navigate through your app.
6. Find your self an App Developer you can trust!
When looking for an app development company, you’re really looking for a partner. To make sure you find the right partner for your app, we suggest asking every company a series of exploratory questions:
- How do they learn to develop new innovations in mobile technology?
- How do they collect and leverage the data from their previous apps and experiences? What have they learned from working with previous clients?
- Do they offer the ability to collaborate (pairing their team with yours to develop, design, and test)?
- Do they follow agile development methodologies (quick iterations, test driven development, constant communication)?
When it comes to agile development, our process at Launchpad is built to encourage innovative planning, adaptive development, rapid delivery, and constant improvement.
From budding entrepreneurs to emerging business, this framework allows us to approach every app with the right mix of technical constraint and creative expression to develop market-leading mobile apps.
So what are you waiting for? To find out how you can launch your very own mobile app, take the first step towards transforming your innovative idea into a successful app!